Learn how you can make one of the most famous German dishes beef Rouladen. This traditional dish is an all-time favorite all around the world.
- 8 slices beef (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 jar bread and butter pickles
- 16 slices bacon
- 1 large onion
- 4 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 stalk of leak
- 2 carrots
- 1 piece of celery root
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. lard or Butterschmalz (alternatively 1 tsp. butter plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- Cut pickles and onions into small cubes or slices.
- Peel and cut the vegetables into small pieces.
- Rinse the meat and pat dry.
- Brush with mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread onion and pickle pieces on top.
- Place two slices of bacon on top of each beef slice.
- Roll up each meat piece and secure with a tooth pick.
- Melt lard or Butterschmalz and brown the Rouladen on all sides.
Remove the Rouladen and set aside.
Roast vegetables and tomato paste for a couple of minutes.
Add the shot of pickle juice and beef stock, stir well and simmer covered for about 10 min.
Add Rouladen back into the pot and simmer covered on medium heat for about 60 minutes.
Remove the Rouladen and press vegetables through a strainer. Keep the liquid.
Add butter to the pot and melt, add flour and brown for a couple of minutes.
Deglaze with the Rouladen liquid and bring to a boil.
Simmer for a couple of minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the Rouladen back into the pot and simmer for another 20 min.
Serve with a vegetable side dish and bread dumplings or Spätzle.