German Bread with Seeds and Nuts
Germany is known for its amazing bread recipes. But not many people know that there are more than 3.200 different trademarked bread specialties offered in German bakeries. In this video I will show you how to make a healthy seed bread, named “Körnerbrot” in German. It contains valuable vitamins, minerals and trace elements, and is rich in dietary fibers. This recipe will show you how fast you can make this flavorful healthy bread with very little work.
- 2 cups dark rye flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. bread spice
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- 2 cups very warm water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar or molasses
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 cup mixed seeds and/or nuts i.e. pumpkin, sunflower etc.
- Add flour, bread spice and yeast to a large bowl and blend.
- Mix water, oil, honey, brown sugar or molasses, vinegar and salt.
- Gradually add the water mixture to the flour and knead on a medium low setting for about 5-10 min.
- Cover the dough and let it rise for about 20 - 30 minutes. The dough will NOT double in size.
- Add seeds/nuts and knead briefly into the dough.
- Knead briefly and shape to a ball.
- Add to a floured banneton or bowl and allow to rise for about 30 - 60 min.
- Preheat the oven to 450 Fahrenheit. Add a heatproof bowl of water.
- Turn dough out of the banneton on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and slash with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 10 - 15 min. on 450 F.
- Reduce to 350 and bake for additional 30 – 40 min.
- Add to a rack to cool completely.