German Potato Bread
If you’ve already watched some of my videos you know that German bakeries offer more than 3,200 registered bread varieties. In this video I will show you how to make a wonderful moist German potato bread. This bread tastes great and will keep fresh & soft for a whole week without any artificial ingredients.
- 8 cups bread flour plus
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound starchy potatoes
- 1 tbsp. German bread spice optional
- Add flour, yeast, German bread spice (optional) and sugar to a bowl and blend briefly.
- Add warm water and knead for about 10 min.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise for about 20 min.
- In the meantime, cook the potatoes.
- Rice the potatoes and add them with salt and the eggs to the dough.
- Knead the dough for about 10 min.
- Depending on the potatoes add gradually up to 4 more cups flour. The dough should still be soft.
- Cover and let rise for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400 F and place a large heatproof bowl or pan with water in the oven.
- Add the dough to a floured working area.
- The dough will be pretty sticky. Flour well and tuck ends of the dough under to round it.
- Sprinkle the bread lightly and slash with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 400 F in a preheated oven for 40 to 60 min.