German Marble Cake
Learn how to make this wonderful soft and moist German marble pound cake. This cake was my absolute favorite cake as a child and I still love it. Marble cake is very popular in Germany for the famous 4 o’clock coffee hour and a must for every birthday party.
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 tbsp. brown rum optional
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
For the topping:
- Powdered sugar or chocolate glaze
- Separate the eggs into two bowls.
- Beat egg whites with salt and 1/2 cup of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Add soft butter, 1 cup sugar, vanilla extract, rum and lemon extract to a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add eggs yolks while whipping the mixture on low.
- Sift flour, corn starch and baking powder into a bowl and mix well.
- Heat the milk to luke warm.
- Gradually add flour, milk and egg whites to the egg yolk mixture. Beat on lowest setting or fold in by hand.
- Grease cake pan.
- Add 2/3 of the batter to the cake pan.
- Sift the cocoa powder to the remaining batter and mix well.
- Add the batter to the cake pan.
- Swirl a fork through the batter to create the marble look.
- Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 40 – 50 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan to cool out completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or brush with a chocolate glaze.