Candied Almonds are a staple on the Munich Oktoberfest. The almonds are sugar-coated and caramelized cooked fresh in copper kettles at the festival.
Servings: 12 oz.
- 12 oz. raw whole almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and water to a large pan and bring to a boil.
- Bring to a boil and add almonds.
- Stir over high heat until water is gone and the almonds get a white crusty look.
- Turn to medium heat and keep stirring until the sugar starts to melt and gives the almonds a shiny caramelized coating.
- Pour the almonds on a non-stick cookie sheet and spread to separate them.
- Store them in a dry, closed container.
Chopped leftover candied almonds make a great ice cream topping.