German Cinnamon Star Cookies
Cinnamon star cookies are a very unique Christmas cookie variation that you will not find in other countries recipes. These glazed cinnamon nut cookies have a distinct flavor that makes them one of the most beloved German cookies.
How are they called in German? “Zimtsterne”
To make these cinnemon stars you need a little patience and practice when it comes to make their signature frosting.
But even if you do not master this process in the first attempt to make these cookies, they will still taste amazing!
- 2 cups finely ground almonds
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp. almond liqueur OR 1 tbsp. pure almond extract
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Blend almonds, powdered sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add egg whites and almond liqueur or almond extract.
- Knead all ingredients to a smooth dough.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Sprinkle your working surface with powdered sugar.
- To roll out the dough, work with a quarter of the dough at a time.
- Roll dough out to 1/4-inch in thickness.
- With a floured cookie cutter, cut out stars and place them on the baking sheets.
- For the glaze, beat egg white with powdered sugar.
- Brush stars with the glaze and bake for 10 to 15 min.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.