German Butterscotch Shortbread
If you enjoy butterscotch candy like Werthers, then you will love the German butterscotch cookies named Karamell Taler. These shortbread like German cookies are not only scrumptious they are also very easy and fast to make.
- 2 sticks 1 cup butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 oz. butterscotch hard candy i.e. Werthers
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg
- Cut butter into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, eggs, and butter into a large bowl.
- Crush butterscotch candy in a blender, or add to a freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Set 1/4 cup of the crushed candy aside and add the rest to the bowl.
- Knead all ingredients to a smooth dough.
- Shape dough into two logs of 1-inch diameter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Cut the logs into 1/4-inch slices and place them on the baking sheets.
- Combine 4 tbsp. of sugar with the remaining crushed candy.
- Brush the cookies with egg white and sprinkle with the sugar mixture.
- Bake for about 12-14 min. and let cool on baking sheets.