Frankfurter Kranz Eiscreme
Frankfurt Crown Cake Ice Cream
Luxurious vanilla ice cream with crunchy candied nut brittle, vanilla cookies and perky maraschino cherries.
Servings: 2 Quarts
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounces 14 oz. cold sweetened condensed milk, fat-free or regular
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts of your choice i.e. hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 jar 10 oz. maraschino cherries
- 1 cup vanilla cake
- Refrigerate the sweetened condensed milk in the fridge overnight or place it into the freezer for about 2 hours.
- Break or cut the vanilla cake into penny sized pieces.
- Drain the maraschino cherries and remove the stems.
- Add the sugar to a pan and caramelize on low heat.
- Stir in the butter and the chopped nuts. Fry for a couple of minutes until the nuts are golden brown.
- Set aside to cool down completely.
- In a stand mixer bowl whisk the cold heavy whipping cream until peaks form.
- Add the cold condensed milk and the vanilla extract to the heavy whipping cream and whisk the mixture on high for about 2 more minutes.
- Remove the whisk attachment and fold the cake pieces, the cherries and the nuts into the ice cream base.
- Transfer the mixture to one large or several serving-sized airtight containers.
- Freeze the ice cream for a minimum of 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
The ice cream will keep for up to 2 months in the freezer.