Dunkle Soße Grundrezept
Dark Sauce Base
Learn how to prepare a perfect dark sauce base for the most delicious German gravies. This recipe does take a few hours cooking time, but only a few minutes of work.
Servings: 4 cups
- 2 pounds meat bones pork and/or beef
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large leek
- 3 stalks celery
- ¼ celery root head
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- ¼ cup red wine alternatively ¼ cup water
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 whole juniper berries
- 7 whole all spice
- 2 cloves
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Heat oil in a large pot and roast meat bones on high heat until nicely browned.
- In the meantime, quarter the onion and wash and cut all other vegetables into ½-inch size cubes.
- Add the vegetables to the meat.
- Roast for a few minutes and then add the garlic and tomato paste.
- Deglaze with red wine and simmer until almost all liquid is gone.
- Add water, salt and spices and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for about 4-5 hours. If necessary, add some more water.
- Discard bones and strain the sauce through a colander into a bowl.
- Freeze the sauce into ice cube trays or small plastic containers.