Matjesfilet in Sahnesauce
Matjes Herring in Cream Sauce
Learn how to make a famous fish specialty from Hamburg in Northern Germany. This recipe consists of tender matjes herring filets also called matie herring with an amazing creamy sauce.
Servings: 4 - 6 portions
- 10 matjes herring filets
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz. bread and butter pickles
- 1 large apple
- 1 large onions
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 bunch dill
- Mix sour cream and heavy whipping cream in a bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar and lemon juice and stir well.
- Peel and core apples. Cut into fine slices.
- Peel and slice onions into fine slices.
- Cut pickles into slices.
- Add apples, onions and pickles to the bowl.
- Rinse herring filets, cut into 2-inch-wide slices and add to the bowl.
- Chop dill finely and add to the bowl.
- Mix gently and allow to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.
Serve with boiled or fried potatoes or a crispy roll.