German Clarified Butter
In German cuisine Butterschmalz is an important recipe ingredient. Butterschmalz is more or less clarified butter or ghee. Clarified butter consists of the pure butterfat, as the water and milk proteins are extracted which extends the shelf life. Clarified butter adds the wonderful butter aroma to a dish while you can use it at high temperature without burning. And the best part is, you can use less fat for a recipe if you use clarified butter, instead of other fats.
- 1 pound butter
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Move the saucepan occasionally to avoid burning the butter, but don´t stir with a spoon.
- After a few minutes, the white lacto-proteins will float to the surface.
- Now bring the butter to a boil until it foams up.
- Continue to simmer for about 20 min., but lower the heat to a medium-low setting.
- After about 20 min. take the saucepan from the stove and let sit for about 15 min.
- Now pour the butter through a mesh strainer lined with a paper towel or a coffee filter into a heat-proof bowl.
- Repeat straining and transfer clarified butter to an airtight jar or container.