What is it?
A delicious vanilla dessert spiked with rum and tender chocolate shavings.
How is it called in German?
“Herren” is the German word for “Gentlemen”.
Cultural Background Story
This dessert is a great hit at any dessert buffet. Originating from the Münsterland (Westphalia), it is a traditional dessert often seen at weddings or other festivities.
Every established housewife has her own recipe with variation in the amount of rum, chocolate and sugar. While some prefer it sweeter, others prefer it spiked up with more rum.
Gentlemen´s Cream Dessert
The addition of the word “Herren” indicates in Germany that the dessert is especially for men, as men are often known for not enjoying sweet desserts very much.
Keeping this in mind, many German cakes and desserts carry the word “Herren” in their name if they are prepared with dark chocolate and/or alcohol.
For the pudding
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. cornstarch
- 5 tbsp. brown rum
- 2 tbsp. very soft butter
- 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
For the mix-ins
- 3 oz. your favorite dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- To a small saucepan add sugar, salt and corn starch and blend well.
- Add milk, heavy cream, rum and egg yolks and whisk until all dry ingredients are completely dissolved.
- Cook over medium-high heat while whisking until the mixture is thickening. This will take about 10 minutes.
- When it starts bubbling in the center you know it is ready.
- Remove the saucepan from heat, add the butter and vanilla, and blend well.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap and let cool completely.
- Store the cream in the fridge if you don’t plan to use it the same day.
- Chop the chocolate into small shavings.
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add the chocolate to the pudding cream and mix well.
- Fold the heavy whipping cream into the mixture.
- Portion into individual glasses and chill for a couple of hours.
- Sprinkle with chocolate shavings before serving.
The vanilla cream can be prepared a day in advance. This can help cut down preparation time shortly before serving.
The most important step is that the rum must be added to the cream while it is still hot. If the cream is cold, it will become too thin and have the wrong consistency.