Savory German Meatloaf
This meatloaf is moist, holds together very well and is easy to cut without crumbling. The recipe incorporates finely chopped pickles which gives this dish an amazing savory touch.
Servings: 8 - 10 Portions
- 4 pounds ground beef 80/20
- 3 slices white bread
- 8 slices bread and butter pickles
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2 tbsp. pickle juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. parsley or one bunch fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Cut bread into cubes and soak in a cup of water.
- Finely cube the onions and the pickles.
- If you use fresh parsley, chop the parsley finely.
- Add the ground meat to a large bowl.
- Add the onion and pickle cubes, spices, eggs, parley, and mustard.
- Squeeze the water out off the bread and add it to the bowl.
- Mix everything well and add the meat to a casserole dish.
- Form to a loaf and bake at 350 F in a preheated oven for 45 min.
- Melt butter and brush the meatloaf every 15 min.
Serve with baked potatoes, Spätzle or Salzkartoffeln and a veggie side dish. You will find the recipes for the meatloaf, Spätzle and Salzkartoffeln.