German Pork Shashlik
Learn how to make German pork shashlik. This meat dish is a very popular German fast food and you can find it at the old fashioned Imbissbuden which are German snack stands where people get a quick bite like “Schaschlik” in their lunch hours or while shopping. Let me show you, how you can make this favorite German snack with its finger licking gravy.
- 2 pounds pork meat
- 1 pound pork belly
- 3 red peppers
- 3 medium onions
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 26 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. paprika powder
- 8 tbsp. honey
- 8-10 Bamboo skewers
- Cut the bell peppers into inch sized cubes
- Cut each onion into 8 pieces.
- Cut the pork belly and the pork meat into inch sized cubes.
- Assemble the skewers. Start with a pork piece, followed by a pork belly piece, bell pepper and onion. Repeat until the skewer is full. Finish the skewer with a pork meat piece. Make sure to press everything close together and leave about 1/2 -inch room at the top and bottom of the skewer to make handling easier.
- Add oil to a large pan and sear the meat skewers on all sides. They don´t need to be cooked, you just want to brown them.
- In the meantime, cut all leftover meat and vegetable pieces finely.
- Add to a large pot and fry for 3 to 5 min.
- Add the garlic paste, curry powder and cumin and fry for another minute.
- Deglaze with chicken broth.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, paprika powder and honey.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the skewers to the pot and simmer them covered for about 90 min. Rotate every 30 min., if you need to stag them in the pot.
- Serve with rice, a slice of bread or French fries.