8 Servings (as a main course)
German Pumpkin Soup
The secret ingredient to this delicious German soup is celery root.
Celery root is an important ingredient in a lot of German soups. It is not a nice-looking root, but the taste is amazing and gives a wonderful flavor to your soup.
- 1 medium sized Ambercup pumkin alternatively your favorite pumpkin
- 1 medium sized Carnival squash alternatively your favorite pumpkin
- 2 onions
- 2-3 large carrots
- 1 stalk of leek
- ½ head cellery root
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste or 4 cloves of garlic finely minced
- salt pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 200 ml heavy cream
- pumpkin seed oil
- roasted pumpkin seeds
- Peel celery root, carrots and onions cut roughly.
- Cut the leek and rinse under cold water.
- Depending on your preferences wash or peel the pumpkins, remove the core and cube roughly.
- In a large pot melt butter and vegetable on medium-high heat.
- Add the pre-cut vegetable and garlic paste and fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and pumpkin cubes.
- Stir well and cover with water.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on medium heat for about 45 – 60 min.
- Puree the soup with a hand blender to desired consistency. Add water if needed.
- Add the nutmeg and stir well. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in heavy cream and let simmer on low heat for about 15 min.
- Sprinkle with a tsp. of heavy cream, pumpkin seed oil and roasted pumpkin seeds right before serving.
Sprinkle with a tsp. of heavy cream, pumpkin seed oil and roasted pumpkin seeds right before serving.