Homemade Quark Secrets!
Zero Waste – Maximum Taste – Health Benefits
Procede to the “cheat recipe” (scroll down) or learn how easy it is to make real authentic German quark that has all the health benefits. I will show you the only two real, authentic preparation methods – the traditional and the commercial method like used in Germany.
You will not find these methods on YouTube. Even on our channel you will find only the “cheat” method on how to produce kind of a quark substitute with a lot of waste in form of whey.
Quark is a very popular ingredient in a lot of delicious German recipes. In this recipe you will learn how easy it is to make your own homemade quark.
But be aware this recipe makes only real quark if you can find real buttermilk. Real buttermilk is not homogenized. Even if the label on store bought buttermilk says “cultured” make sure it is not homogenized.
Try some of our German recipes with quark and let us know how it turned out.
- 4 cups full fat milk
- 2 cups fresh, raw buttermilk make sure it is NOT cultured, pasteurized or homogenized or it is "cheat quark" that does not carry the health benefits
- In a large glass bowl add milk and buttermilk. Stir well and cover with a clean kitchen towel.
- Let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. The mixture will thicken slightly.
- Heat the oven to 125 F and shut off. Set the bowl uncovered into the oven for about 45 min. The mixture will change to yogurt like texture
- Add a cheese cloth or a kitchen towel to a colander and set on a large bowl.
- Pour the milk mixture into the colander, twist the ends and let drain for about 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- The quark will be in the towel and the whey will be in the bowl.