German Pancake with Raisins
Serve with vanilla ice cream and heavy whipping cream.
Servings: 2 - 3 portions
- 2-4 tbsp. raisins optional to taste
- 3-4 tbsp. brown rum or apple juice depending on the amount of raisins
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. butter plus 1/8 cup butter shavings
- 4 tbsp. powdered sugar or to taste
- Soak raisins in rum or apple juice for about 20 minutes.
- Separate the eggs and place in two mixing bowls.
- Beat egg whites with salt until it forms a firm peak.
- Cream egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add milk to the egg yolk mixture.
- Gradually whisk in the flour to the egg mixture and beat to a smooth batter.
- Stir in the drained raisins.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Melt butter in a large non-stick pan and pour in dough.
- Cook until light brown, then turn to the other side and fry until both sides are golden brown.
- Tear the pancake into small pieces, using two forks.
- Sprinkle butter shavings and powdered sugar on top and serve immediately.
Tart apples are the best choice for baking an apple strudel.