How is this dish called in German?
What are Käsespätzle?
The German verion of mac and cheese.
Cheese Spaetzle with Ham
This kaese spaetzle recipe incorporates golden fried onions and ham with makes this dish a hearty choice for cold winter days.
Serve with a side salad.
If you would like to make spaetzle from scratch you can find the recipe here: Authentic Swabian Spaetzle. It is way easier than you think!
- 1 pound spaetzle
- 8 oz. shredded Bergkäse alternative Cheese of your liking
- 8 oz. ham
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Salt & pepper
- Prepare the Swabian spaetzle according recipe or package instructions.
- Peel the onions, slice finely and fry golden brown in butter.
- In the meantime, cube the ham.
- Layer spaetzle, ham cubes, fried onions and cheese in a greased casserole pan.
- Season each layer of spätzle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 400 F pre-heated oven for about 20-25 min. or until the top is golden brown.