Liver Berlin Style
Learn how to make a traditional German dish that originated in capital of Germany named Berlin. The delicious sweetness that comes from the sautéed apples and onions gives this fried liver dish a very special touch.
Servings: 4 - 6 Portions
- 4-6 slices beef or calf liver
- 2 apples
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. Butterschmalz or butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- ½ tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- Peel, core the apples and cut them into thin slices.
- Add to a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Peel and cut the onions into halves, then slice them finely.
- Melt butter in a pan and fry the apples for a couple of minutes and set aside.
- In the same pan fry the onion slices and fry until soft and brown.
- In the meantime, rinse the liver and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add the flour to a shallow plate and coat all liver slices on both sides.
- Heat Butterschmalz or butter in a large pan on medium high and fry liver on both sides.
- Sprinkle with marjoram and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with apple and onion slices and mashed potatoes with brown butter or gravy.