Linsen & Spätzle
German Lentil Stew with Spaetzle
Learn how to make a German dish named “Linsen und Spätzle”. This lentil recipe is one of the most popular dishes in the south of Germany, especially in Baden-Württemberg where the famous Mercedes Benz and Porsche cars originate.
- 10 oz. pork belly
- 4 oz. bacon
- 8 franks
- 28 oz. green lentils
- 1 large onion
- 1 stalk of leek
- 2 carrots
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large potato i.e. Russet
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 20 oz. homemade spaetzle
- Peel and cube onion.
- Clean and slice leek into fine slices. Rinse the slices and drain.
- Peel and cube carrots.
- Cut bacon finely.
- Cut pork belly into 1-inch pieces.
- Add butter to a pot on medium high.
- Add onions, pork belly and bacon and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse lentils, sort out bad ones and add to the pot. No soaking is necessary.
- Add broth and spices, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 min.
- In the meantime, shred the potato.
- Add the shredded potato and the vegetables to the pot.
- Let simmer for about 20 - 30 more min.
- Add the vinegar and the franks.
- Allow to sit for 10 min. on minimum heat.