What is it?
No knead rolls are a kind of roll where you don´t need to invest time to knead the dough. All ingredients are just mixed with a spatula or spoon in a large bowl and then proofed for at least 6 hours. Mother nature takes over and developes roll dough that has an amazing texture and flavor.
How is a roll called in German?
No Knead Rolls Without The Hard Work
No Knead Cheese Rolls
Germans love bread and rolls. No wonder the main meal for Germans in the evening consists of a slice of bread or a roll with some kind of a topping.
Sounds boring? Actually it is not. Germans have a huge variety of cold cuts, cheeses, spreads and salads to go with the delicious bread.
Experience a German “Abendbrot” which literally translated means “Evening Bread” as this cold meal is traditionally served as dinner. Americans would probably call it something like “Sandwich night”.
- 16 oz. room temp. Water
- 1 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
- 1/2 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 3 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 cup (about 4 oz.) of your favorite cheese, shredded
- Add flour and shredded cheese to a large bowl and blend together.
- Add yeast and salt and blend.
- Pour the room temperature water into the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Scrape down the sides and make sure all flour is incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to proof for about 6 to 8 hours at room temperature.
- Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough, then place the dough onto a with flour sprinkled working space.
- Cut into 6 equal sized pieces and shape into rolls.
- Sprinkle each roll with flour and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover the rolls with plastic wrap and proof for 45 minutes while you pre-heat the oven to 425F.
- Bake at 425 F pre-heated oven for about 20-25 min.
Use your favorite cheese for this recipe. The rolls are especially delicious if you choose some strong flavoured cheese like pepperjack or Bergkäse.