German Pastry Nut Rolls
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 300 g ground nuts i.e. hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds or a mix
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice or water
- Melt butter and heat milk to luke warm.
- Add flour, yeast, salt, and sugar to a bowl and blend briefly.
- Add egg yolks and blend well.
- Add melted butter and warm milk, and knead for about 5 min.
- Allow the dough to rest for about 10 min.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Mix all ingredients for the filling in a medium sized bowl.
- Roll dough out to a 1/4-inch thick rectangle.
- Spread the filling on top.
- Roll up dough from the short end of the rectangle.
- Cut roll into 1-inch wide pieces.
- Set on, a with parchment paper lined, baking sheet.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let raise for about 30 min.
- Bake for 20-25 min.
- In the meantime, mix powdered sugar and lemon juice or water to a glaze.
- Spread glaze on the rolls while still warm.