Kartoffelpuffer/Reibekuchen mit Räucherlachs
German Potato Pancakes with Smoked Salmon
Learn how to make German potato pancakes. These pancakes, made of shredded potatoes, are most loved in the Rhineland area of Germany, but are very popular in other regions. You can enjoy them in many sweet and hearty variations. In this video I will show you a hearty recipe with an amazing dill dip and smoked salmon. This dish does not take a lot of time but will impress your guests at a fancy dinner party as the presentation has a great gourmet look.
- 6 large potatoes i.e. Russet potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 5 tbsp. flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. Butterschmalz clarified butter optional
- 8 oz. smoked salmon
- 1 recipe of All Tastes German dill dip
- Peel and shred the potatoes and the onion.
- Press out the water and add to a bowl.
- Add eggs, salt, pepper and flour and mix well.
- In a large non-stick pan heat oil and Butterschmalz (optional) on medium-high.
- Add two tablespoons of potato mix to the pan and flatten out. Depending on the size of your pan, you can add two or three of these.
- Bake on both sides on medium heat until golden brown and the edges are crispy.
- Remove from pan and let drain on a paper towel and keep warm in the oven at 200 Fahrenheit, until all the potato mixture is used.
- Serve with All Tastes German dill dip and top with smoked salmon.