What is it?
A very popular German vegetable side dish.
How is it called in German?
“Erbsen” are the German word for “peas”. And “carrots” are called “Karotten” in German.
Pea-Carrot Side Dish
This recipe is very simple but delicious.
This side dish is a great companion to many German meals and even picky eaters love it.
- 2 cups water
- 8 large carrots
- 2 cup peas frozen
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. butter
- Peel and slice the carrots.
- Add the water, carrots, salt and butter to a small saucepan.
- Put the lid on and simmer on medium heat for a few minutes.
- After about 5 minutes remove the lid and let the water cook off to the point where there is just a little bit liquid left.
- Add the frozen peas, stir and let sit on low heat for a couple of minutes.
- For some extra deliciousness, sprinkle some buttered breadcrumbs on top, to give this dish a festive look.
For some extra deliciousness, sprinkle some buttered breadcrumbs on top, to give this dish a festive look.