What is it?
German potato salad recipe from the Rhineland region.
Potato Salad Rhineland Style
The Rhenish potato salad is one of the most popular recipes from the Rhineland. It is a classic that both young and old love.
In comparison to the Swabian vinegar-oil variation, the Rhenish potato salad has mayonnaise as a base for the dressing. The classic Rhenish potato salad is made with mayonnaise and sausage, eggs and gherkins.
- 5- pounds yellow potatoes
- 10 eggs
- 1 large jar cornichons
- 1 large nion
- 6 green onions
- 1 small jar light mayonnaise 22 fl. oz.
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 pound Fleischwurst alternatively bologna sausage or lyon sausage
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until soft but still firm to the bite and let cool completely.
- Cook the eggs hard for about 8-10 min. and let also cool completely
- Peel and dice the potatoes and eggs into bite sized pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Drain the pickles and make sure to keep some of the pickle juice. Cut pickles into small pieces.
- Cube the onion and slice the green onions finely.
- To a medium sized bowl add mayonnaise, salt, pepper, sugar, pickle juice, heavy whipping cream and the mustard. Mix until well combined.
- Add the dressing mixture, onions, green onions, and pickles to the large bowl with the potatoes and eggs.
- Slice the sausage into slices and then into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Mix well and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve as a main dish or as a side.
Try this recipe with all kinds of deli meats.
Have some leftovers? This potato salad is a great choice to get them eaten.