What is Quark?
Quark is a dairy product, technically it is cheese but it´s texture reminds more to greek yogurt or sour cream. But quark does not have a tangy flavor like greek yogurt, it is smooth and creamy and has a neutral dairy taste.
Quark is one of the German super foods. It is high in protein, packed with calcium, potassium, vitamins and minerals but very low in fat.
It is easy to make quark and you can find my cheat recipe here on this channel. I call it cheat recipe because if you can´t find fresh buttermilk you will not be able to make real quark with all it´s health benefits and you will not achieve the full flavor nor the fantastic firm but so creamy silky texture that authentic quark has.
Click here for the homemade quark cheat recipe or check out the authentic quark master class below.
German Quark Dip / Spread
This simple but very delicious quark dip recipe is made with homemade quark. The dip can be spread on bread or served as a creamy topping for baked potatoes.
- 1 pound quark
- 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ tsp. coarse Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- ½ small yellow onion
- 3 stalks green onion
- Add quark, heavy whipping cream, salt, pepper, sugar, garlic paste and mustard to a medium sized bowl and mix until creamy and well combined.
- Finely cube the yellow onion and add to the bowl.
- Finely slice the green onion, set a tablespoon for the garnish aside and add the rest to the bowl.
- Mix everything well and refrigerate until serving.
If you prefer a lower calorie and fat content you can just switch the heavy whipping cream out for milk or even water.