Rotkohl mit Cranberries und Mandeln
German Red Cabbage with Cranberries and Almonds
This modern twist on a traditional German recipe is absolutely delicious and makes a perfect side dish to Rouladen or a roast.
Servings: 8 portions
- 2 medium onions
- 2 small red cabbage heads
- 2 tbsp. lard or butter
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 oz. cranberries
- Peel onions and slice into very fine rings.
- Remove the outer leaves of the red cabbage heads.
- Cut each head into 8 wedges and arrange in a casserole pan.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat lard or butter in a medium pan.
- Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add blanched almonds and mix well.
- Add brown sugar and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar, orange juice and honey.
- Season with salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil and add cranberries.
- Pour onion mixture over the cabbage wedges and distribute evenly.
- Cook in oven for about 30-45 minutes or until tender.