How is this rice dish are called in German?
What is Reisfleisch?
Reisfleisch is a German rice based dish which is originally made with Schmalzfleisch. In this recipe I use corned beef instead as Schmalzfleisch is difficult to get in the U.S. But the taste is equally great.
German “Reisfleisch” Rice Dish
This German rice dish is a quick and hearty dish for cold winter days. It is easy to prepare and can make in advanced if you need a fast meal.
The special twist to this dish are the pickled bell peppers.
- 2 12 oz. cans corned beef
- 2 16 oz. jars roasted bell peppers
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic paste or 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. instant chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. paprika powder
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. black coarse pepper
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 4 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups juice from the drained bell peppers
- 1 shot glass white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- Drain the bell peppers and set the juice aside.
- Cube the onions roughly.
- In a large pot heat oil and butter on medium heat.
- Fry the onions until translucent.
- Add garlic paste, spices and tomato paste.
- Mix well and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice and fry again for a couple of minutes.
- Add the water and the bell pepper juice and stir well.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, cut bell pepper and corned beef into bite-sized pieces.
- Add bell pepper, corned beef and the shot of white wine vinegar to the pot.
- Stir well, taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let sit on lowest temperature for about 20-30 min.
- Add the frozen peas and let sit of a couple of minutes.
Serve this German rice dish as is or with a side salad.
Reisfleisch is usually made with parboiled rice, but you also can use other kinds of rice variations like brown rice or basmati rice.