Learn how you can make one of the most famous German dishes beef Rouladen. This traditional dish is an all-time favorite all around the world.
Servings: 8 Rouladen
- 8 slices beef 1/4 inch thick
- 1 jar bread and butter pickles
- 16 slices bacon
- 1 large onion
- 4 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 stalk of leak
- 2 carrots
- 1 piece of celery root
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. lard or Butterschmalz alternatively 1 tsp. butter plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- Cut pickles and onions into small cubes or slices.
- Peel and cut the vegetables into small pieces.
- Rinse the meat and pat dry.
- Brush with mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread onion and pickle pieces on top.
- Place two slices of bacon on top of each beef slice.
- Roll up each meat piece and secure with a tooth pick.
- Melt lard or Butterschmalz and brown the Rouladen on all sides.
- Remove the Rouladen and set aside.
- Roast vegetables and tomato paste for a couple of minutes.
- Add the shot of pickle juice and beef stock, stir well and simmer covered for about 10 min.
- Add Rouladen back into the pot and simmer covered on medium heat for about 60 minutes.
- Remove the Rouladen and press vegetables through a strainer. Keep the liquid.
- Add butter to the pot and melt, add flour and brown for a couple of minutes.
- Deglaze with the Rouladen liquid and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the Rouladen back into the pot and simmer for another 20 min.
- Serve with a vegetable side dish and bread dumplings or Spätzle.