Bavarian White Cabbage Salad
The perfect side dish on every Bavarian dinner menu
- 1 medium head white cabbage
- 3 oz. bacon
- 1 large onion
- 4 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp.. mustard
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 tsp. coarse pepper
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- Slice cabbage lengthwise in 4 quarters.
- Cut stem out and discard.
- Slice each piece in fine strips and add to a large bowl.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Chop onion and bacon finely. Fry in butter till translucent.
- Add vinegar, pepper, caraway seed, broth and vegetable oil to the pan.
- Bring to a boil and pour mixture immediately over the cabbage.
- Toss and refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- Before serving, salt to taste if necessary.