German Fried Potatoes
Germans are known for their love of potatoes. One of the very popular potato dishes are fried potatoes. In this video I will show you the basic recipe for fried potatoes, called “Bratkartoffeln” in German.
- 2 pounds firm potatoes i.e. Yukon Gold, Red Bliss, Carola, Inca Gold, Rose Gold etc.
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp. Butterschmalz
- 2 tbsp. neutral vegetable oil
- Salt pepper, and paprika powder to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into equal ½-inch slices or cubes.
- Add the potatoes to a bowl with water to wash off the starch. This makes sure that you will get nice and crispy potatoes.
- Heat oil and Butterschmalz on medium-high in a large pan.
- Drain the potatoes, add them to the pan and cover with a lid.
- Fry for about 5 min. before you stir the potatoes for the first time.
- With the pan covered, fry for about 20 minutes and stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, cube the onions and add on top of the potatoes – don´t stir.
- Fry for about 5 min. with pan covered.
- Mix potatoes and fry for about 5 more minutes without a lid.
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika powder to taste.