German Beer Cheese Dip with Brats
This German favorite is a great appetizer, or the perfect dish for a game night. This recipe is an absolute crowd pleaser, especially if you serve it with homemade pretzel bites.
Servings: 6 portions
- 4 oz. bacon finely diced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2/3 cup beer or apple cider
- 0.5 cup milk
- 0.5 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. full fat cream cheese
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 brats i.e. “beer brats” or “better than cheddar brats”
- ½ tsp. Hungarian paprika powder optional
- ½ tsp. pepper optional
- 2 tbsp. green onions finely sliced
- Dice bacon and onion finely.
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet and fry bacon and onion over medium heat until translucent.
- Add mustard and honey and stir well.
- Let simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beer or apple cider. Stir well and let simmer until almost all liquid is evaporated.
- In the meantime, you can cut the cream cheese into 1-inch cubes.
- Stir in the milk and heavy whipping cream.
- Add cream cheese and stir occasionally until the cream cheese is completely melted. This takes about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the brats and green onions into fine slices.
- Add ¾ of the shredded cheddar and the spices (optional) to the skillet.
- Stir well until cheese melts.
- Add the brats and mix them well into the cheese mixture.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining shredded sharp cheddar and green onions on top and serve hot in the skillet.
- Serve warm with pretzel bites.