What is it?
Soft pretzel buns.
How is it called in German?
Soft Pretzel Buns
These soft pretzel buns are a delicious homemade treat with every meal. In Germany you these rolls are regularly used for all kinds of savory sandwiches.
They are easy to make and so much better than the store bought versions.
- 1 1/3 cup + 1/3 cup warm water
- 5 tbsp. butter (melted)
- 1 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp. salt Kosher
- coarse salt to sprinkle on the rolls
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Add 1/3 cup of warm water, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Mix to combine and let it sit for about 10 minutes until foamy.
- Melt butter in remaining warm water, add to the yeast mixture, and mix well.
- Mix salt with flour and add to the bowl 1 cup at a time.
- Knead until smooth dough forms.
- Cover the bowl with clean dish towel and let dough rise for 1 hour.
- Divide it into 10 equal pieces.
- Shape the pieces into smooth rolls and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover the rolls with damp dish towel and let the rolls rest for about 20-30 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to make a shallow cut on the rolls in the shape of a cross.
- Cover the rolls and let them rest for about 30 minutes or until they have doubled in volume.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Fill a large pot 2/3 with water and heat to boiling.
- Once the water boils, add the baking soda slowly to the water.
- With a slotted spoon add 1 roll at a time into the water bath. Turn after 10 seconds for about 5 more seconds.
- If the roll does not float, leave in for 15 seconds total.
- Remove, place the rolls back on the baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the rolls.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake rolls for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.
Soft pretzel buns are for sandwiches or for burgers.