German Potato Soup
On a cold and rainy day it´s a great idea to cook some German potato comfort soup. This soup warms the soul and heart on a cold day. Here are the steps how to make it.
Servings: 4 - 6 portions
- 5 large potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks of leek
- 1 large onion
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. ground marjoram
- 1 bunch parsley
- 6-8 franks
- Peel potatoes and carrots and cut into bite size pieces.
- Cube the onion.
- Clean the leek and cut into fine slices. Rinse with water and drain.
- Add oil to a large pot and fry onions until translucent.
- Add the leek and fry briefly with the onions.
- Add the broth, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, nutmeg, marjoram and bay leaves.
- Simmer covered on medium-high heat for about 20 min.
- In the meantime, slice the franks and chop the parsley finely.
- Add parsley and sausage slices to the pot and allow to sit on low heat for about 10 min.
Serve with a slice of fresh bread or roll.