Spaetzle Swabian Style
This Spaetzle recipe is probably the most traditional one in Germany. It is an authentic Swabian Spaetzle recipe. Usually made by hand, but in this recipe, I will show you how to use a stand mixer to make the spaetzle easy and fast.
- 4 cups flour
- 8 medium sized eggs
- 1 shot sparkling water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- Add flour to a stand mixer bowl.
- Add salt and nutmeg and blend into flour.
- Add the eggs and mix on a medium-low setting until well combined.
- Slowly add the water and mix well until the batter is smooth and shiny.
- Let batter rest for about 5-10 min.
- In the meantime, heat water in a large pot.
- Stir dough one more time.
- Add about 1 ½ tbsp. salt to the boiling water.
- Press about 1/3 of the batter through a spaetzle maker or strainer.
- Wait until spaetzle float to the top, then let them cook additional 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now scoop them out with a mesh skimmer or slotted spoon into a strainer.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
- Toss them in melted butter directly before serving.