This spaetzle recipe is enhanced with spinach. These dressed up spaetzle are a healthy and delicious variation. You can use spinach spaetzle like the original spaetzle as a side or can make tasty spaetzle casseroles or spaetzle salads.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 6 oz. frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- ½ cup water
To cook the spaetzle:
- 1- gallon water
- 1 ½ tbsp. salt
- Thaw spinach and press excess water out.
- Transfer spinach to a blender and add heavy whipping cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Mix until smooth and set aside.
- To a large bowl add flour and eggs and blend briefly.
- Add the spinach mixture and blend well.
- Add the water and mix the batter until smooth.
- Let batter rest for about 5-10 min.
- In the meantime, heat water in a large pot.
- Stir dough one more time.
- Add about 1 ½ tbsp. salt to the boiling water.
- Press about 1/3 of the batter through a spaetzle maker.
- Wait until spaetzle float to the top, then let them cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now scoop spaetzle out with a slotted spoon into a strainer.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
- Toss them in melted butter directly before serving.