1 large loaf
Puddingbuchteln mit Erdbeerhäubchen
Sweet Bavarian Pudding Buns with Strawberry Topping
This German hearty bread is flavorful and very easy to make. The apple cider vinegar gives the bread a sourdough like taste even if you don´t have a sourdough starter at hand.
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups wheat bran
- 2 tbsp. yeast
- 1 tbsp. cane sugar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp. ground caraway seeds
- Add flour to a large bowl and form a well in the middle.
- Mix yeast and sugar and add to the well.
- Pour 1 cup of warm water in the well and stir gently with some flour to a liquid yeast-mixture in the well.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for 10 minutes.
- Add oil and honey to 3 cups warm water and mix well.
- Add warm water mixture, wheat bran, apple cider to the bowl and mix well.
- Add salt, ground caraway and knead for at least 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for 90 minutes.
- Shape bread loaf and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Cut three parallel lines in the top of the dough.
- Cover with clean, kitchen towel and let rise for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Bake for about 60 minutes.
The German country bread makes the perfect side for a vegan diet.