Spiced German Gingerbread Nut Cookies
Pfeffernüsse are a classic German gingerbread treat around the holidays.
Servings: 45 Cookies
- 10.5 oz. honey
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground clove
- 1/2 tsp. ground all spice
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 1/2 tbsp. cream of tartar
- 4 tbsp. brown rum
- 1 egg
For the Glaze
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- In a small saucepan melt honey, butter, and sugar.
- Set aside to cool, stir until lukewarm.
- In a large bowl blend flour, spices, and nuts.
- In a small bowl mix cream of tartar and rum.
- Add egg, rum mixture and lukewarm honey mixture to the large bowl and knead to a firm dough.
- Sprinkle the top with some flour and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 1-3 days.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- 10. Using a small cookie scoop, place dough on prepared baking sheets.
- 11. Bake for 12-15 min. or until light golden brown.
- 12. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- 13. Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice to a smooth glaze.
- 14. Brush or drizzle over cookies.
- 15. Allow to dry completely before storing in a cookie jar or airtight container.