The recipe for this cherry strudel is just the thing when you need something quick. It is prepared with ready-made puff pastry and canned cherry filling or frozen cherries, totally easy and fast!
But I've also incorporated a delicious Bavarian twist by adding a creamy cheesecake-like component to the fruity strudel. I love quick recipes that taste amazing and look absolutely beautiful. Not only is the preparation super fast, but you can also easily switch up the strudel with different fruits.
The end result is incredibly delicious and visually impressive. Perfect for last-minute guests, a casual German Kaffeeklatsch or a quick treat to share at work!
Are you interested to try more fresh, homemade strudel? I recommend you try my simple and quick puff pastry apple strudel recipe. Prefer a more traditional approach? Then consider giving this authentic German Apfelstrudel recipe a try.
Craving for a bit more fun and flair in your German dessert repertoire? Why not take a detour and dive into my large recipe list of tried-and-true, authentic German cake recipes?
What Is Cherry Strudel Called In German?
Cherry strudel is called Kirschstrudel in Germany. Der Kirschstrudel (m/singular) and die Kirschstrudel (f/plural).
How to pronounce "Kirschstrudel" in German?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Kirschstrudel".
Ingredients & Substitutions
You can easily prepare this delicious puff pastry cherry strudel using store-bought ingredients. However, if you favor a homemade version of the cherry filling, please explore my alternatives provided further down in this blog post.
Puff Pastry - I usually use store bought puff pastry, but if you have homemade puff pastry this would be even better.
Cherry Pie Filling - If you are looking for a quick strudel, store bought cherry pie filling works amazing. You can also use my homemade Tipsy Cherry Compote instead, it is absolutely delicious.
Cream Cheese - make sure that your cream cheese is at room temperature or it will be difficult to work with. I use full fat cream cheese but you can also use fat reduced cream cheese.
Quark or Greek Yogurt - quark is the German secret to this fantastic cherry strudel experience. Use Greek yogurt if you can´t find quark, it work perfectly as substitute.
Instant Vanilla Pudding - use the non-cook version pudding powder that you can find in the baking aisle.
Egg Wash - you can use the whole egg or just the yolk with a teaspoon of water or milk to make prepare the egg wash.
Topping (optional) - Sprinkle some almond slices over the egg wash (it helps the almonds to stay in place) and dust the strudel after baking with powdered sugar. Make sure the strudel cooled down or the powdered sugar will melt.
See recipe card for quantities.
Follow these easy steps and make your delicious cherry strudel in no time. It´s so easy and delicious.
Step 1: Thaw the two puff pastry sheets as per the package instructions.
Step 2: In the meantime, blend cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and vanilla pudding for 2 mins.
Then blend the cherry filling into the mixture.
Step 3: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Roll out the puff pastry directly on the baking sheet.
Step 4: Divide the filling between the two baking sheets, ensuring you leave an 1-inch rim on all sides without filling.
Step 5: Cut 45-degree slices into the pastry sides as shown in the photo above.
Using a butter knife works best for this.
Step 6: Fold the dough up on the short edges first.
Then, for the long sides, fold the strips over the filling, alternating between the left and the right, to create a crisscross pattern.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with almond slices then bake for 20-25 minutes in a to 380F preheated oven.
To make this cherry strudel, you only need a few kitchen utensils, you probably already have at home.
- Large mixing bowl and hand mixer or stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons or kitchen scale
- Parchment paper
- Two baking sheets
- Butter knife
- Small bowl and cake brush for the egg wash
- Fine mesh strainer (optional for powdered sugar topping)
How to Store?
Unfortunately, this cake can't be stored for very long. The puff pastry tends to get soggy from the filling rather quickly.
But this strudel is so lecker (tasty) that you most likely don´t have to face this challenge. But if you need to store Kirschstrudel, wrap it into a clean paper towel and store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 days.
Pop the cherry strudel leftovers for 15-30 seconds into the microwave before enjoying them.
Can I Freeze German Strudel?
German strudel is excellent for freezing and can last up to 4 months in the freezer if packaged the right way. It is best to freeze cherry or apple strudel after it's been baked and cooled down completely.
Make sure to place it in a sealed airtight container to prevent freezer burn.
Cherry Strudel - Delicious German Kirschstrudel
- 1 package puff pastry 17.3 oz. - 2 puff pastry sheets
- 1 can cherry pie filling 21 oz.
- 6 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- ⅔ cup quark or Greek yogurt
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding 3.4 oz.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. almond slices optional
- 1 tbsp. powdered sugar optional
- Thaw puff pastry sheets according to the package instructions.
- Mix cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and instant vanilla pudding with a hand mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 380 F.
- Fold in the cherry filling.
- Place each piece of puff pastry on a piece of parchment paper and roll it out slightly.
- Spread half of the filling evenly throughout the length of each puff pastry sheet.
- Leave ⅓ of the long sides unfilled and about 1.5 inches unfilled on the small sides of the dough. (s. picture in blog post)
- Using a butter knife, cut diagonal 45-degree slices into the sides of the puff pastry on the left and right thirds.
- Fold the dough up on the small edges, then fold the strips up on the long sides, alternating a strip from the left and one from the right side, over the filling in a crisscross pattern.
- Whisk the egg yolk and milk and carefully brush the puff pastry. Sprinkle with almond slices if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then sprinkle with powdered sugar. (optional)