Schweinebraten mit Dunkelbier Soße
Bavarian Pork Pot Roast with Dark Beer Sauce
This Bavarian roast is easy to prep and a perfect entree for every Oktoberfest dinner.
Servings: 8 - 10 portions
- 4 pounds pork roast
- 1 tbsp. caraway
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- 1 tbsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 tbsp. coarse pepper
- 2 tbsp. lard
- 2 large onions
- 2 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 celery root or 2 small parsnip
- 1 large leek
- 2 cups dark beer
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- Wash pork roast and pat dry.
- Mix caraway, garlic paste, salt, pepper and rub pork roast from all sides.
- Clean and chop leek, carrots, celery root or turnips roughly.
- In a large dutch oven melt lard over medium-low heat.
- Cut onions into large slices, set into pot, and place roast on onions.
- Add beer, broth and vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and cover with lid.
- Simmer on medium low heat for about 1 hour.
- Turn roast and simmer for another hour.
- Remove roast to a plate to rest and keep warm.
- Strain the liquid into a small sauce pan.
- Mix corn starch into 1/4 cup water and add to sauce pan.
- Cook and whisk gravy to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
Serve with potato or bread dumplings and sauerkraut or another vegetable side.