This Bavarian roast is easy to prep and not only a perfect entree for every Oktoberfest dinner.
How is pork roast called in German?
Pork roast is called "Schweinebraten".
How to pronounce "Schweinebraten"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Schweinebraten" in German.
Authentic German Pork Roast - Simple Recipe
Bavarian Pork Pot Roast with Dark Beer Sauce
- 4 pounds pork roast
- 1 tbsp. caraway
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- 1 tbsp. coarse salt
- ½ tbsp. coarse pepper
- 2 tbsp. lard
- 2 large onions
- 2 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 large carrot
- ½ celery root or 2 small parsnip
- 1 large leek
- 2 cups dark beer
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- Wash pork roast and pat dry.
- Mix caraway, garlic paste, salt, pepper and rub pork roast from all sides.
- Clean and chop leek, carrots, celery root or turnips roughly.
- In a large dutch oven melt lard over medium-low heat.
- Cut onions into large slices, set into pot, and place roast on onions.
- Add beer, broth and vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and cover with lid.
- Simmer on medium low heat for about 1 hour.
- Turn roast and simmer for another hour.
- Remove roast to a plate to rest and keep warm.
- Strain the liquid into a small sauce pan.
- Mix corn starch into ¼ cup water and add to sauce pan.
- Cook and whisk gravy to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
What to serve with German pork roast?
Serve with potato or bread dumplings and sauerkraut or another vegetable side.