Tart apples are the best choice for baking an apple strudel.
How are Apples called in German?
Apples are called "Äpfel".
How to pronounce "Äpfel"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Äpfel" in German.
Simple German Apple Strudel with Puff Pastry or Filo / Philo Dough Recipe
Simple Apple Strudel
- 8 ounces puff pastry or fillo/phyllo pastry (thawed)
- 5 tart apples
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp. breadcrumbs
For the top:
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Place 2 fillo leaves on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Place 2 more leaves on top and brush with butter again.
- Repeat until 6 leaves have been used.
- Repeat the whole procedure for a second and third strudel.
- Peel, core and slice apples in fine cubes.
- Mix with raisins, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Mix breadcrumbs, sugar, cinnamon and add to apple mixture.
- Lay ½ of the filling onto the dough, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Shape to a roll.
- Beat egg and milk lightly and add 1 tbsp. of melted, lukewarm butter.
- Brush top of the strudel with egg mixture.
- Bake the strudels at 400 F for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
- Let cool 10 minutes before moving to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Serve with vanilla sauce or vanilla ice cream and heavy whipping cream.