Easy Apple Strudel
Tart apples are the best choice for baking an apple strudel.
Simple Apple Strudel
- 8 ounces puff pastry or fillo/phyllo pastry (thawed)
- 5 tart apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp. breadcrumbs
For the top:
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Place 2 fillo leaves on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Place 2 more leaves on top and brush with butter again.
- Repeat until 6 leaves have been used.
- Repeat the whole procedure for a second and third strudel.
- Peel, core and slice apples in fine cubes.
- Mix with raisins, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Mix breadcrumbs, sugar, cinnamon and add to apple mixture.
- Lay 1/2 of the filling onto the dough, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Shape to a roll.
- Beat egg and milk lightly and add 1 tbsp. of melted, lukewarm butter.
- Brush top of the strudel with egg mixture.
- Bake the strudels at 400 F for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
- Let cool 10 minutes before moving to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Serve with vanilla sauce or vanilla ice cream and heavy whipping cream.