What is it?
A hearty German roll made from a mix of wheat and rye flour.
How is it called in German?
“Buttermilch-Roggenbrötchen” or short “Buttermilchbrötchen”
“Brötchen” is the German word for “Bun / Roll”.
Why buttermilk is so healthy?
Buttermilk is – along with quark and yoghurt – a probiotic food. It contains healthy, living lactobacillus, that are important for human’s digestion. In comparison to many other bacteria, these ones survive the stomach and are able to be fully active in the intestines. They can have a positive effect on digestion and intestinal flora.
Apart from that buttermilk has far less calories than normal milk with only 38kcal/100ml. 100ml full milk has 64kcal as a comparison. Yet it is still as rich with high quality protein, bone strengthening calcium and Vitamin B12, which supports cell growth.
Buttermilk Rye Rolls
Many people think that baking bread and rolls takes a lot of time and effort but baking bread can be very easy and quick. Apart from that, homemade bread and rolls just taste so much better that bought ones. You can also save a lot of money, and you know exactly what ingredients were used.
Buttermilk Rye Rolls
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Heat the buttermilk to medium warm, don´t boil it.
- Add flour, yeast, sugar and salt to a mixing bowl and blend briefly.
- Add buttermilk to the bowl while mixing.
- Knead for about 10 min. and allow to rise for 30 min. in a warm place.
- Knead dough briefly and shape to a rectangle.
- Cut into 8 pieces and set on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Slash with a sharp knife and sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Allow to raise for another 20 to 30 min.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400 F and place a large heatproof bowl or pan with about 1-2 cups of water in the oven.
- Bake the rolls for 20 - 25 min.
Buttermilk rye rolls are hearty but soft and make the perfect side to a soup or salad.
With a few slices of ham and/or cheese and some crispy lettuce leaves they make the best sandwich you´ve ever had.
If you don´t have rye flour on hand or don´t like it, you can use bread flour or spelt flour for this recipe.