German Cheese Rolls
If you love the smell and taste of fresh baked rolls, then this German cheese roll recipe is a must. The dough for these German rolls is made with cheese, which gives them an amazing soft and chewy texture. They are an all-time favorite in Germany for lunch boxes and parties and are super-fast and easy to make.
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. instant yeast
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups shredded cheese for the dough
- 2 1/2 cup very warm water
- 1 cup shredded cheese for the topping
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. milk
- Add flour, yeast, salt, sugar and cheese to a stand mixer bowl and blend briefly.
- Add warm water and knead on a low setting for about 3 to 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and shiny.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 min.
- Form rolls.
- Cover with the kitchen towel and let raise for about 20 min.
- Mix egg yolks and milk and brush the rolls.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 min. on 350 F.