Homemade chocolates are always a special treat. This truffle recipe incorporates the distinct spice mixture of gingerbread and makes the perfect festive treat for the Christmas holidays.
Placed in a clear cellophane bag and wrapped with a pretty bow these truffles make the perfect edible gift for every chocolate lover or a baby shower buffet.
How are gingerbred truffles called in German?
Gingerbread truffles are called “Lebkuchentrüffel” or “Lebkuchenpralinen” in German.
How to pronounce “Lebkuchentrüffel” and “Lebkuchenpralinen” in German?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Lebkuchentrüffel” and “Lebkuchenpralinen” in German.
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say Griessbrei and Griesspudding in German. Listen to this audio file to hear how to say Griessbrei and Griesspudding in German. Listen to this audio file to hear how to say Griessbrei and Griesspudding in German.
Authentic German Gingerbread Truffles Recipe
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 oz. dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground gingerbread spice
For the Topping
- 4-6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. virgin coconut oil or shortening
- Chop chocolate and add to a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan bring heavy whipping cream to a boil and pour the heavy cream over the chocolate.
- Stir until the chocolate has completely dissolved.
- Add the gingerbread spice and the nuts and stir until everything is well combined.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Scoop one teaspoon of the chocolate mixture and shape the dough into bite sized balls.
- Heat coconut oil or shortening and chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and dip truffles, one at a time, into the chocolate, and place on a cooling rack.
- Allow chocolate to set.
- Store in a cool place, in an airtight container.
For an amazing festive look, sprinkle the truffles with edible glitter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
How to store truffles?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can use a plastic container or a mason jar.
The truffles should keep about 2-3 week, but I bet they wont last as long.