These German style thumb print cookies are one of my favorite Christmas cookies and I make several batches each year.
You can fill these little sweethearts not only with all kinds of jam but also with hazelnut spread like Nutella or almond butter or even a piece of your favorite chocolate.
How are thumb print cookies called in German?
German thumb print cookies are called either “Engelsaugen”. “Engel” means angel and “Augen” means eyes.
How to pronounce “Engelsaugen”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Engelsaugen” in German.
Authentic German Christmas Thumb Print Cookies Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 10 tbsp. soft butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla sugar
- zest of 1 organic lemon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 small jar of apricot or seedless raspberry jelly
- powdered sugar to taste, optional
- Knead flour, soft butter, egg yolks, powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt to a smooth dough.
- Shape the dough into a square. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Shape small balls out of the dough, place them on the prepared baking sheets and flatten them slightly.
- Use the end of a large wooden spoon to form a shallow dent in the middle of each cookie.
- Fill every dent with a teaspoon of jelly.
- Bake for about 10 min. or until lightly golden.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Optional: Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Making these cookies is a perfect way to empty some of your open jam jars and make more room in the fridge 🙂
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate. The nutritional labels are a product of online calculator.