What is it?
Made from scratch vanilla sauce for desserts.
How is it called in German?
“Vanillesoße” or “Vanillesauce”
The character “ß” resembles two “ss” in German.
Homemade Vanilla Sauce
Making vanilla sauce yourself is very easy, you just need to follow a few tips.
Generally speaking, an egg-based custard is made, that is aromatised with vanilla. The only challenge there is binding the sauce. The egg mass cannot reach a temperature higher than 78°, otherwise it will curdle too much.
The binding will begin at around 60°. If you are binding cream with egg, then in German cuisine you would say “zur Rose abziehen”. This means the following: The best way to make it is by putting the cream base into a metal bowl and onto a hot bain-marie (pot-in-pot waterbath). After that you add the egg slowly, this works best if it is mixed with sugar, while stirring constantly. Now the mass has to be stirred over the bain-marie until the binding is perfect.
This can be checked with a trick. You dip a wooden cooking spoon into the mass and blow onto the back of the spoon. If the mass gets creased, and looks similar to a rose, then the cream is finished.
This undertaking is theoretically easy, but it does need a bit of patience.
If you prefer a quicker way, then you can also put the pot on the stove. It is important to keep a low heat when working. This needs a bit of experience however as the egg can curdle quickly. Another secret tip for this, using a magic wand can usually save the egg mass in case it starts to curdle.
German Vanilla Sauce
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 egg yolks
- In a sauce pan, mix corn starch with two tablespoons of cold milk.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites and beat lightly.
- Bring rest of the milk, heavy whipping cream, sugar, salt and vanilla to a boil and set aside.
- Gradually whisk the egg yolks into the milk mixture.
- Cook mixture on low heat for about two minutes.
Vanilla sauce is added to many sweet dishes and cakes in Germany.
Traditionally adding a homemade vanilla sauce to apple strudel, Dampfnudeln, Kirschmicheln, waffles, Germknödel and other sweet delicacies is an absolute must.
Real vanilla beans are quite expensive. Before you discard your vanilla bean next time after removing the delicious seeds, follow the recipe below and make your own homemade vanilla sugar – an essential ingredient in German (Christmas) baking. Even if you use the seeds for a recipe you can use the scraped out vanilla bean to make vanilla sugar.
Homemade Vanilla Sugar
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Mason jar or airtight container
- Add sugar to a small bowl.
- Split vanilla bean down its length and scrape out seeds with a paring knife.
- Add the seeds to the sugar and blend well.
- Cut vanilla bean into 2-inch-long pieces and add to a Mason jar.
- Add sugar to Mason jar, close lid and shake well.
- Allow to sit for a couple of days before usage.