German Jam Filled Chocolate Covered Gingerbread Hearts
These jam filled gingerbread hearts are a special treat in the German Advent time and during the Christmas celebrations.
How are they called in German? “Gefüllte Lebkuchenherzen”
To be honest, not a lot of people make these delicious gingerbread treats from scratch in Germany as you can find high qualitly ones in every supermarket for an affordable price.
In the U.S. these cookies are expensive and good quality is sometimes hard to find. There is a bit of work envolved to make them but it is so worth it!
German Jam Filled Gingerbread - Gefüllte Lebkuchenherzen
- 6 oz. golden syrup or honey
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. gingerbread powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cherry jam
- 8 oz. dark chocolate
- In a small pot melt golden syrup, brown sugar, vanilla sugar, butter, and salt. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, cocoa pow-der, cinnamon, and gingerbread spice and blend together.
- Separate the egg and refrigerate the egg white in an airtight container.
- Add the egg yolk, and the cooled down syrup mixture to the flour mixture and knead to a smooth dough.
- Shape dough to a square, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before rolling out the dough, allow to sit at room temperature for 10-15 min.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Sprinkle your working surface with powdered sugar.
- To roll out the dough, work with a quarter of the dough at a time.
- Cut large heart shapes with a cookie cutter.
- To half of the cookies add a dot of jam in the center and brush the edges of the cookies with egg white.
- Top with another heart and press the edges lightly to close the cookie.
- Bake for about 10 min.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Temper the chocolate and cover the cookies with chocolate on both sides.