You can serve liver dumplings not only in a soup but also as a side to a traditional German meal.
Liver dumpling soup is a staple at the Oktoberfest and a popular starter on German restaurant menus.
How is liver dumpling soup called in German?
Liver dumpling soup is called “Leberknödelsuppe”.
How to pronounce “Leberknödelsuppe”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Leberknödelsuppe” in German.
Authentic German Liver Dumpling Soup Recipe
- 17 oz. beef liver
- 3.5 oz. bacon
- 3.5 oz. onions, (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarse pepper
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 whole allspice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 cups beef broth
- Cut bacon in fine cubes and liver in small pieces and place in a blender.
- Dice onion and cook in olive oil until translucent. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, chop the parsley finely.
- Add parsley and onions to the blender and mix briefly.
- Add eggs and blend again until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, marjoram, nutmeg and the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Use your hands or a spring handle ice cream scoop to form mixture into dumplings.
- With a slotted spoon, lower dumplings carefully into boiling water and let simmer on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime heat up the beef broth.
- To serve, place one or two liver dumplings into a soup bowl. Top with hot beef broth and garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley right before serving.