German Pancake Soup
This pancake soup is a great choice for a quick and tasty soup. It is a staple starter in the south German restaurants.
Swabian Pancake Soup
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil or butter
- 8 cups beef broth alternativley vegetable broth
- 1 bunch chives
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, eggs and salt.
- Add milk and blend to a smooth batter.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat and brush with oil.
- Stir batter well and pour 1/3 cup of batter into pan,
- Completely coat the surface by tilting the pan.
- Cook, turning once, until golden on both sides.
- Roll up and slice in fine strips.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Bring the vegetable to a boil.
- In the meantime, cut the pancakes into 1/4-inch thick stripes and chop the chives finely.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls, add some pancake stripes and sprinkle with chives.
Tip: Roll up the pancakes, this makes cutting easy and fast.
Sprinkle with finely chopped chives or parsley right before serving.