Beef broth with finely cut pancake slices.
Soups play a great role in the German kitchen. This could be traced back to the Habsburgs. The fact that this house of royalty enjoyed soups of all kind is known to go all the way back to the 16th century.
The clear beef soup comes in all varieties. Some of the most desirable additions to that soup are Flädle (similar to very thin pancake strips), Grießnockerl (semolina dumplings), and Leberknödel (liver dumplings).
“Flädle” is the Swabian term for pancakes. Though, they do need to be thin and crispy. Rolled up and cut into thin strips, they make for a great ingredient in soup.
“Flädle” are a traditional, ancient Swabian recipe, passed down through the generations. Swabian pancakes are thin and golden brown.
Flädlesuppe used to be leftover food. The Flädle that weren’t used the day before just got sliced up and served in a strong beef broth. Today, this is most of the times made fresh, from scratch.
How is Pancake Soup called in German?
Pancake soup is called either "Pfannkuchensuppe" or "Flädlesuppe".
How to pronounce "Flädlesuppe"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Flädlesuppe" in German.
Swabian Pancake Soup
The ultimate way to use “Flädle” are in the traditional, southern German wedding soup where they are added to a clear broth with marrow and semolina dumplings.
Authentic German Pancake Soup Recipe
Swabian Pancake Soup
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil or butter
- 8 cups beef broth alternativley vegetable broth
- 1 bunch chives
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, eggs and salt.
- Add milk and blend to a smooth batter.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat and brush with oil.
- Stir batter well and pour ⅓ cup of batter into pan,
- Completely coat the surface by tilting the pan.
- Cook, turning once, until golden on both sides.
- Roll up and slice in fine strips.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Bring the vegetable to a boil.
- In the meantime, cut the pancakes into ¼-inch thick stripes and chop the chives finely.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls, add some pancake stripes and sprinkle with chives.
What to do with leftover pancakes?
Fill leftover pancakes with sweet filling for a dessert. For example jam, vanilla pudding or Nutella.
Storing: Flädle are also great for freezing. This way, a greater amount can be stored and quickly be added to any soup later.